Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

My Niva won't start

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
niko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:16 pm Post subject: My Niva won't start Reply with quote

I finally managed to track down the correct wire harness for the new fuel pump and hooked it up.

Charged up the battery, the lights go on in the 1st key position, fuel pump sucks up the initial does of fuel, all good.

Then, I try to start and -- nothing. No sound - no attempts at turning over at all. The battery light stays on the dash (because the battery is @ 12.4V) and the handbrake light goes on when the key is in ignition position.

Any idea what's up? The car has been sitting for a while (about 3 months), maybe that has something to do with it?

GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the connections on your battery and starter motor. Firmly tap the starter motor with a hammer while someone turns the key.
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk
niko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new battery (last one was acting up), connected it up. All the lights, wipers, whatever go on so it's fine.

I tapped the starter (gave it a few good whacks with a wrench), but no luck. I turn the key and there's nothing - absolutely nothing - no noise of any sort. Check engine light stays on and the ( ! ) light goes on when I try to crank it.

To make sure I'm not overlooking something completely obvious, the wire from the +ive side of the battery attaches to this connection on the stater, right?

http://i.imgur.com/lpXTF.jpg?1

Anything else I can do to check what's up? E.g. connect the ALDL cable and see what data it's giving me before ignition?

[Mar 21 update] Tried a few more things:
- checked the voltage to the solenoid and it's fine
- checked the battery after letting it sit overnight - it's keeping its charge, so no mystery drains
- plugged in ALDL cable and had a look: everything looks ok, sensors are reporting properly
- when the switch is in ignition position, the lights do not dim or flicker like they would when the car was operating -- does this mean anything?
niko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! GadgetBoy, you were right after all: this problem just needed some brute force.

Since I am going at this car solo, I couldn't get a friend to crank the ignition while I tap on the starter. So, I fashioned a starter switch (a simple momentary switch with two wires with alligator clips on each end). One end to +ive connection of battery, the other to the wire going to the solenoid. Negative end of the battery stayed connected, so the grounding is in place.

Then, I clicked the switch on and started whacking the starter (figured if it's dead, I won't be doing it much harm). Well, after a few really good whacks, it started up!

The car is starting nicely now, but smoking a fair bit from underneath the starter - wispy white smoke. I immediately checked the fuel lines to the injector, as I was messing around with them earlier, but they are tight and not dripping. Seems like oil burning? Another mystery for another time...
GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You can completely dismantle/service the starter and solenoid. There's a full procedure in the manuals which you can download from my site (link below).

Chances are the solenoid needs a good clean and a grease.
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: