Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

First start in 9 years

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
Quentin_McK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:16 pm Post subject: First start in 9 years Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2103, a Niva and a Samara as a daily-driver, as well as another Samara that's been sitting for a while.

My Lada 2103 (a 1978 model) hasn't been started since (probably) 2011. It sprung a big water leak from an old hose, and I was meaning to fix it, but somehow I didn't get around to it. I'm in Christchurch, New Zealand, and that's when we had that earthquake. That's my excuse, anyway. I have just found the 'Lada Niva 8 year Coldstart' thread. But I will ask anyway - I just want to be extra cautious.

I would love to get the car running again, but I am really nervous about starting a car that's been sitting for so long. I have tried to do some research online. Some people recommend putting some Marvel Mystery oil down the bores, through the spark-plug holes, waiting a few days then turning it over. I think I should be extra-cautious and remove the cylinder head, then smear oil around the bores. Perhaps also drip some Mystery oil to try to re-invigorate the piston rings. Then I plan to temporarily put the head back on with the old gasket, wait a couple of days and try to turn it by hand. If all is well, I'll put in a new gasket.

The oil that's in it now is black, but not gloopy. But I suppose the worst of it would be at the bottom of the sump by now, anyway. I don't see evidence of water in the oil, but the car has been sitting outside this entire time (I know, I'm pissed off with myself too). Do you reckon I should I change the oil before I start it; or start it, then change the oil when it's hot.

I'll also need to drain the fuel tank, and I guess I will need to also clean the carburetor. Dneprdude suggested a peanut-butter jar fuel tank, which seems like a good idea to just see if it's going to start.

As for the coolant, it's got a bit of a rusty tinge. I don't think it will do any damage to start it with the current coolant, will it? I plan to change it after I get it running. I'll need to also replace whatever hose is leaking.

After doing the above, I'll disconnect the coil and crank it over for a while (a few seconds at a time) to get the oil flowing. Or do you think it's worthwhile to take out the distributor and turn the oil pump with an electric drill (something I read about online). Would you guys do that?

I also have a Samara that hasn't been run since 2009. I think perhaps I should practice on that, because I'm really nervous about doing damage to my 2103. I really don't want to damage the Samara either, but it's not quite as special to me as the 2103. That Samara was my daily car, but I found and bought a better Samara. So, I suppose that one is now a parts car. Although I don't actually want to just use it for parts. Maybe I'll just keep it as a spare!

In short, I guess I want to hear what people on this forum would do, and/or opinions on my plan.

Thank you for your help! Sorry for the length of this post. I'm afraid I'm not very good at writing concisely Smile

Lada 2105

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pull the spark plugs out, put some motor oil into the cylinders (small amount 1oz or less). Let it sit a few min. Look at your plugs, if Ok put them back in. Disconnect coil and crank over for 10 seconds, let the oil pressure build up. Get the air filter and housing of the carb. Get some starting fluid. Pump fresh fuel manually, lever under fuel pump. Start the car. If doesn't want to start spray small amount of starting fluid in the carb, try again. It will start.
Quentin_McK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks! I think I'm probably just too nervous. I'll take your advice and do it as you say. Probably this weekend. I'll keep you posted, and I'll take some photos when I get the car cleaned up.

In the mean-time, I found a photo of the car I took a while ago.

Last edited by Quentin_McK on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Lada 2105

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Very Happy
Quentin_McK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lada 2105.

Unfortunately, I was busy this weekend. But I think I should have time next weekend to try to start the car.

Also, I found anther photo of the car. I'm pretty sure this was taken at the same time, but for some reason I had put the photo in another box.

I was a bit hesitant to post this photo. I know I've been very silly getting so many cars, more than I can deal with. I still have all the cars in the photo. The green car is a 1983 Ford Cortina that I bought from a friend. Behind that is another Lada 2103 (1977, I think). The man who sold me the 2103 I am talking about starting found it for sale. He suggested it might be a good idea to buy it as a parts car. So I did, but I haven't got the heart to do that. I'm hoping I'll get around to restoring it one day, then perhaps sell it. Further in the distance is a 1989 Lada 2105, which I also want to get going. The red Samara is really not in good condition. I got it cheaply, I thought it was better I got the whole thing than had to buy individual parts from the wreckers.
FOX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: